First off, I want to thank Lucy from Lessons from Lucy for nominating me for a Liebster Award. Now what exactly is a Liebster Award?, you may be wondering. According to Lucy it’s this.
Basically, it’s a gauntlet. Thrown at your feet, this challenge (if accepted) requires you to tell your readers more about yourself. You must answer 11 questions in total. Then, you must pass the gauntlet on to 11 other bloggers you admire. And write 11 new questions for them to answer. Keep in mind that they may or may not pick up said gauntlet.
So, I’ve decided to happily accept said gauntlet by answering Lucy’s questions. Here they are, get ready…
1. What’s the hardest lesson you’ve had to learn?
I would say the hardest lesson I’ve had to learn is that you can’t rely on other people for everything in life. Growing up, naturally, I would rely on my parents for help with anything that was bothering me, whether that be getting a cut and needing a band-aid or wanting a ride to go get ice cream. As I’ve gotten older, however, I realized that I have to advocate for myself. I am the only one who can work towards achieving my goals. I remember failing my license test when I took it for the first time. I had never really failed anything before and was totally freaked out. There was nothing that my mom or driving instructor or friends could do to change the results; I had failed because I messed up. Grudgingly, I took a couple of additional lessons and practiced on my own as well. When I took the test for the second time, I passed and it felt that much better to know it was something I had done entirely on my own.
2. Do you have a motto that you live your life by? What is it?
I’ve never really thought about something like this before. I would say that one sort of motto I try to follow is that you have to work for what you want in life. Nothing is going to just be handed to you; you have to have the motivation and drive to work for what you want to achieve in the end. Another motto of mine would be to live without regrets and to try as many new things as possible. I love to travel and try to join in as many new experiences as possible because that is how you grow, from going outside your comfort zone. As a naturally reserved person, that can be hard at times, but I do feel that it is necessary.
3. What is your favorite publication and how often do you read it?
Honestly, Rookie Mag, the online magazine for teen girls created by Tavi Gevison is my favorite publication. They post three times a day, so I check it at least every day, sometimes multiple times. Rookie just has a way of reading my mind; whenever something is troubling me or if I’m simply curious or interested in something, I can find it there. I would highly recommend checking it out. I love that Rookie aims to empower young women, instead of causing them to feel insecure about their bodies or their worth, like unfortunately, much of today’s media is guilty of.
4. Why did you start your blog?
I was a sophomore in high school and I was bored. I’ve always loved fashion magazines, clothes, beauty products, etc. and wanted to share my opinion with my peers. Blogging has been an amazing way to connect with other young women and to give them (as well as myself) a voice.
5. What did you want to be when you grew up? Are you on your way there?
Growing up, I wanted to be everything from a princess to a rockstar to an astronaut. For a while, I wanted to be an actress or a model. Later on, I wanted to be a teacher. As a kid, I was constantly coming up with news ideas for what I wanted to do just because it sounded cool or whatever. Once I got to middle school though, I decided I wanted to do something in the fashion industry. I became really interested in media and eventually started my blog. I plan on studying journalism in college and hope to pursue my goal of working in fashion journalism.
6. Best dessert you ever had —
This is a really tough one for me! I have such a sweet tooth and have enjoyed many desserts over the years. I would have to say my favorite was a chocolate hazelnut dessert (I can’t remember exactly what it was) that two of my cousins got at a restaurant our last night in Italy. It was basically the most decadent chocolate dessert you could think of and it was amazing.
7. Favorite place in the world.
I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to travel to a fair amount of places in different parts of the world. My favorite trip was a 16th birthday present to my cousin and I. We went to London and had the absolute best time. I loved going to all of the museums, art galleries, and just soaking it all up. The shopping was incredible too!
8. Where do you see yourself at age 30?
To be honest, I don’t really know where I see myself at age thirty. I would say, maybe living in a big city and working in the media industry. I’d be married or would have a long term boyfriend. I know that’s pretty vague, but it seems so far away!
9. If you could interview anyone in history, who would it be and why?
I would definitely interview Jackie Kennedy, since she’s my ultimate role model and idol. She also didn’t give a lot of interviews. Jackie was poised, stylish, and elegant and was also extremely intelligent and passionate about history and the arts. I would love to hear more about her perspective on different world events and on life in general. I listened to some of the tapes that she recorded after her husband’s assassination and got chills. She was truly an amazing woman.
10. The last dream you had involved…
Ooh, this one’s hard too. I can hardly ever seem to remember my dreams. I was actually trying to remember today… I really can’t. How about I just say something about a particularly strange and memorable dream? Well, that one involved stealing the SATs from a table in a meadow. Talk about trippy. It was during my junior year and I was so stressed out about the test!
11. What is your favorite slang word?
Hmm, well it’s definitely not swagger. I hate that word. I really don’t think I have one. Maybe the word “bonkers” as in “going bonkers” since that’s just kind of strange sounding. HAHA.
1. Annie, Fashion and Beauty Inc. 2. Jamie, The Fashion Newcomer 3. Allie, All Dressed Up, Everywhere to Go 4. Harper, Harper Honey 5. Melanie, When Life Gives you Melanie
Ok, so here are my questions for the all of you nominees, have fun!
1. What is the worst movie you’ve ever seen? Why was it so awful?
2. What is your favorite vintage fashion era (eg. 50s) ?
3. What is your current favorite T.V. show?
4. Do you have a tumblr? If so, how would you describe it? If not, what are your impressions of tumblr in general?
5. Who is your favorite celebrity couple of all time? Ok, I couldn’t help myself, but let me just answer that one myself. JFK Jr. and Carolyn Bessette RIP. Just look at them.
6. What is your “desert island” beauty product? If you could only have one thing, what would it be?
7. How would you describe your personal style?
8. How would you describe your music taste?
9. Are you superstitious? Examples?
10. What’s your favorite high school themed movie (or TV show) of all time?
11. If you could choose any destination, where would you travel to next?
Best of luck!